” It’s about completing cool things.”
For more details regarding this Community Miniature painting challenge, please check out Azazel’s site: https://azazelx.com/2018/11/23/dauntless-diabolical-december-community-painting-challenge/
With a challenge about “completing cool things”, it’s one that’s hard to pass. Like most of Azazel’s painting challenges, it’s more of a fun way to encourage the community (and himself) to finish painting things.
So, let’s get…
Well, this should have been a post featuring some Necromunda minis, as that is what I’m scrambling to finish in time for some winter break gaming. Azazel hinted just a few times, that a Blood Bowl Star Player would be perfect for this challenge though…so yep, that’s what I got. Also, “Dauntless” always reminds me of the skill that the Blood Bowl Troll Slayers possess.
The Main Course
Dwarf Blood Bowl Star Player “Flint Churnblade”. A real cut-up on the field, thanks to that illegal chainsaw he totes around!
So, this little mini turned out to be more of a pain that I thought. Like the rest of the Dwarf team, he got primed, re-primed, painted, and repainted.
Also of note, he was originally a Willy Miniature. Willy miniatures were known for being a bit large scale wise, compared to 2nd-3rd edition Blood Bowl miniatures. Which makes them just about perfect for the newest minis. Or so I thought. When I got him, I was a little shocked to see that he was shorter than the new Blood Bowl Dwarves. But he seemed to be close, and maybe I could prop him up on a pile of skulls or something,
When I got back to working on him, I decided he was way too short. I decided it was mainly the legs and I could use the legs from the new Blood Bowl Dwarfs to give him a height increase. Surely not too hard, right? Well, turns out I had no spare legs that would work! I did have a fully painted Blocker and too many of those…so with a lot of hand wringing, I took the plunge and chopped off the legs off the painted mini. Little bit of green stuff, and it worked out okay. Similarly I had to make some adjustments to get the chainsaw and hands to line up with the arms. I was also nearing the end of painting, and then one of the legs started to pry away. Like I said, it’s just been a series of issues with the little guy. I probably could have done more with him, but it’s time to move on before I take a hammer to him. Maybe someday I will revisit.
The light is washing out the contrast in most of the pics, so I opted for a darker shot on the Winter Blood Bowl board. With the chainsaw weapon, I did get to go to town with Blood for the Blood God a little bit. I didn’t go crazy, but figured he just knicked someone and has turned to look for the next lucky sap.
Here you can see a size comparison with some of the other Blockers on the team. Looks just about right now. Whereas before, he was almost a head shorter than the rest.
Also, he was originally a ginger, but the red was blending in with the uniform, plus I wanted a red chainsaw. It seemed more fitting with a December Challenge to go with a white beard and red uniform. Unfortunately, I didn’t recall how I did the white beard on the Blocker to the right. I thought I was referencing the same YouTube tutorial, but apparently not. Looking at it now, I’m guessing it was a base of Administratum Grey, followed by highlights of white. Funny, because I wasn’t crazy about that white beard at the time, and then I wanted to recreate it. Ah, the craziness.
And here he is with the rest of the Star Player for the team. That leaves one more Dwarf Star to do. There is also, the Ogre Star Player “Morg ‘n’ Thorg” who plays for just about anyone, so I don’t really consider him necessary to call the Dwarves “completely done”.
One more down, and it was nice to get a December-ish mini out in time. Regardless of all the ‘could have/should have/would have’s, he turned out all right. As mentioned above, I’m mainly focusing on making some ‘playable minis’ right now. Basically getting things half painted and based. Which means things will be a bit quiet around here for a bit. On the plus side, I’m still keeping momentum and it’s all progress regardless. I imagine quite a few will end up making it into completed challenges at some point.
For now, I leave you with this: